Carbon Monoxide poses a serious threat to individuals both at home and on the job.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poses a serious threat to individuals both at home and on the job. According to the CDC, each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 people visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 people are hospitalized. CO poisoning is the leading cause of poisoning deaths in the US. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. 

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
• Weakness
• Dizziness
• Nausea or vomiting
• Shortness of breath
• Confusion
• Blurred vision
• Loss of consciousness
If you or people around you are experiencing these symptoms, it is important to get them and yourself out of the area. Being exposed to CO for an extended amount of time can cause irreversible brain damage and eventually death.

 General Safety Tips
• Never burn charcoal indoors
• Never leave your car running in a garage or any poorly ventilated area
• Never heat your house with your stove- this can lead to a buildup of CO in your house
• Never use a generator inside your house. 

Illness Prevention
Avoid the situations mentioned above. Have gas-burning appliances and heaters regularly inspected by a professional to ensure there are no issues with using them in the home. Install carbon monoxide alarms on each floor of a building or home.